The International Community Is Invited to Participate in the GlobalHAB Programme, through Seeking Endorsement of Relevant Research, Monitoring, and Modelling Activities Relating to HAB Projects
Procedures and criterion for obtaining GlobalHAB endorsement of science activities
GlobalHAB provides an international structure for planning and coordination of international scientific activities related to HABs in aquatic environments and their effects on the ecosystems, human health and wellbeing. In addition, GlobalHAB helps providing a framework for national and regional projects to (1) coordinate their activities and, (2) participate in coordinated initiatives of research, observations, and modelling on HABs.
Scientists are invited to participate in GlobalHAB by designing scientific activities in alignment with the goals and objectives of GlobalHAB, and by applying for endorsement of such activities, and participation in framework activities.
The GlobalHAB SSC may endorse already funded projects, project proposals at the funding submission stage, or letters of intent. The primary criterion for endorsement is applicability to any of the GlobalHAB Science Plan objectives. Details of current endorsed project are listed on the GlobalHAB website.
Requests for endorsement are initiated by submission of the accompanying application form, emailed to the Chair of the GlobalHAB SSC (Contact). GlobalHAB SSC members and GlobalHAB chair (or vice-chair, if the chair is unavailable) will then assess the submission and make a decision about endorsement. The applicant will be notified no later than one month after submission of the request. Notification will be in the form of an official GlobalHAB letter (.pdf) sent via email. A printed version is available upon request.
Benefits of GlobalHAB endorsement
Individuals and research teams that participate in international GlobalHAB activities will receive the following benefits from their association with the programme:
- GlobalHAB will support the communication and knowledge transfer on HABs to the public, managers, and policymakers.
- GlobalHAB will facilitate establishment of links with other relevant international programmes and bodies (e.g., GOOS, IPHAB, IOC WESTPAC, HAEDAT, ...) and related projects also endorsed by GlobalHAB.
- GlobalHAB will facilitate dissemination of project information through newsletters, web site and other communication mechanisms.
- To communicate the progress of the project to GlobalHAB SSC once per year (or when necessary) between the endorsed project and the GlobalHAB SSC. Refer to update template.
- Specify endorsement by GlobalHAB in scientific publications. Refer to examples of acknowledgement.
- Provide copies of scientific publications for listing as GlobalHAB Programme outputs.
- Contribute to the dissemination of GlobalHAB via seminar/Webinar.